Saturday 15 September 2012

Airel by Aaron Patterson

Airel (The Airel Saga, #1)Airel by Aaron Patterson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is first and foremost about Airel, your typical teenage girl. She has a pretty good life, a good family, friends, and is a little shy. Overall, her life is pretty good. In walks the cliche: Michael. New boy in school, dreamy, and you cannot deny the attraction felt between the him and Airel. Even though I've seen this played out time and time again, the author keeps enough mystery surrounding Michael that we are not quite sure where he stands or what is coming. With their first meeting, Airel's life begins to change. Airel is forced to come to terms with these changes and admit that things exist in this world that she had never thought possible and also to discover a past that she didn't know existed.

I normally like having different point of views in a story, but in this case I really liked being in Airel's head. We get the story from the Airel's viewpoint, and she was quite funny and witty. I'm impressed that this book was written by a couple of guys, as they did an excellent job of portraying this teenage girl. I'm sure that was not easy to pull off, but somehow they did it!

There is also a second story line to this book, which takes place in 1250 B.C. and follows Kreios, a fallen angel. When we first are introduced to Kreios, his wife had just given birth and then shortly after died, and we follow him as he struggles to keep his daughter safe from those who are after them. I think the authors did a great job of integrating both plots. The transitions between the two stories were smooth, making it easy to follow each without getting lost or confused, again not an easy thing to do. At first I could not connect the two stories, each one seeming to be separate from the other, but in the end they are beautifully woven together.

I really enjoyed the descriptiveness of this book. The scenery, people, and emotions were described with such great detail, it was easy to visualize the settings and become absorbed in the characters. I cannot wait for the next book in the series!

P.S. I know it's been mentioned, but the cover is absolutely beautiful!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment