Saturday 15 September 2012

Coexist by Julia Crane

Coexist (Keegan's Chronicles, #1)Coexist by Julia Crane
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

On the surface, Keegan is your typical 16-year-old girl. She spends her time hanging out with her friends, shopping, texting and dating. But Keegan is an elf. She is really living a secret life, trying to fit in with the humans, all the while just passing the time until she turns 18 so she can meet her chosen mate.

I liked this book. I thought this was a fun story. I liked that we got to meet both Keegan and Rourk and see the story from both of their point of views even though they did not get to meet right away. I thought the plot made a great story. The characters were fun and overall likeable. This is the first story I have read focusing on elves, and I liked the elfin world that the author created.

One thing I really did not like about this book was the overall length. The book was short, and it just felt too rushed. I would have loved to see the main characters been given more depth. Some of the supporting characters, such as Anna and Donald, seemed almost a passing thought. You get their point of view very quickly one or two times in the story, and that is really all you get to see of them. It would have been nice to have a little more background on them as well. There were too many scenes that also felt too rushed, and I would have liked to have them elaborated on as well.

The other thing that bothered me was the very quick changes in point of view. There was no transition between the thoughts of one person to the next. Sometimes I would have to actually back up a couple of sentences as I was reading because all of the sudden I realized that the point of view had changed, and then changed again, without warning.

Overall, I liked this story; I just wanted more of it.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I am halfway through the book and I am enjoying it. I love the idea of elves in modern times, makes you wonder if they really do live among us. I love that for every elf, there is a destined partner waiting for them. Overall, the concept intrigued me and I can't seem to stop reading. I will be sure to check out the rest of the book series and Julia Crane's other books.

    ReplyDelete